Thursday, July 13, 2006

The Party's Over... The Comedy Continues

Well, the Church Planting Fellows Program has come to an end. We had our last meeting with Tim Keller two weeks ago and the Lord has various directions in ministry lined up for each of us. Fuji Kim (at the left in the picture, taken by Irene Lee of Redeemer's staff) will be heading back home to Philadelphia, PA to plant a Pan-Asian church there. Martijn Horsman (next to Fuji) will return to the Netherlands to plant a church in Amsterdam. Tim Keller is in the middle of the photo. Al Taylor is looking to plant a non-denominational church in Harlem with the help of Redeemer's Church Planting Center and Infinity Church in The Bronx. Reyn Cabinte was sick on the last day we met and isn't pictured. He's going to begin the process of planting a church in Washington Heights (Manhattan).

And then there's me. As most of you know, I'm sticking it out with Ascension Presbyterian Church for a while until I feel clearly called to plant a church in another part of the city (preferrably in Queens). I still have a lot to learn before that time comes.

Because the Fellows program is over, I will now be only a part time church planting intern because Ascension Church doesn't have the financial resources that Redeemer has, the stipened, which accounted for 75% of my income this past year, is gone. I'll still need to raise additional funds and keep the donations coming from those of you who've been sending support. Beginning in August, support checks should continue to be mailed to my home address, but should now be made out to Ascension Church instead of Redeemer. Continue to put my name on the memo line.

So now the search is on for outside work. I've managed to piece together a few odd jobs in much the same way I did when I was in Seminary. One of the most exciting gigs comes up this Tuesday night. I will take the stage at the New York Comedy Club. That's right folks, I'm the Jerry Seinfeld of church planting. I've never played a New York crowd. My material went over well in Beaver Falls, PA and Jackson, MS, but New Yorker's are a tough bunch. I'll let you know next week how everything turns out. At the very least, I will be paid handsomely considering they only want seven minutes of schtick.

2 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Brother,

I will pray that you knock them over. [Not like that Ben Hin stuff...you know.]

Oh...Benny Hin would make some great material for the future! That white suit...lol. It would be too easy. Uh...well maybe New Yorkers haven't heard of him. Oh, well! I was just trying to help.

;-)

11:38 AM  
Blogger Andrew Barnes said...

Hey Jack,
I have had the opportunity to watch your blog for about a year now. I think you have passed my test, you should feel privledged that you are being added to my blog...jk. I am adding you though in the blog links section, not because you are privledged to be on MY blog, but because you and I are privledged together to be a son of God. We are brothers, and I mean, you are Jack. Good memories that make me laugh are what you have given me. Good stuff. May God continue to bless your ministry and work in your life.

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home