Thursday, November 09, 2006

And God Created Coffee... and it was good

On the third day of Creation, God created plants and trees. Genesis 1:12 specifically mentions fruit and seed. I assume this would include beans. By way of extension, it would be appropriate to say, therefore, that God created coffee on the third day as well. Why mention this particular observation here?

During my time in seminary, I was amazed when I would come accross a fellow seminarian who remained caffine free. Typically I wondered out loud how a man who didn't drink coffee could possibly be called to Gospel ministry. Perhaps such a man could serve a small church as pulpit supply on occasion, but I can't imagine working in a church planting situation without the blessing of a piping hot cup of stimulation. I would never have graduated where it not for the Holy Spirit, prayer and coffee.

Until the middle of the summer, as most of you probably know, I was working full-time for the church plant which has developed into Ascension Presbyterian Church, and although I served in an essentially assistant's position, there was much work to be done. At least there was coffee.

Now, because my support is a bit low, I work full time elsewhere while continuing a 20 work week with the church. There's still a great deal of work to be done. At least there is coffee.

Of course, the holiday season is coming up. and we have many plans with Ascension Church to go out into the community and invite people in. It's exciting and exhausting and there's much to do. Hey, at least there's coffee.

People in ministry typically run the danger of burn out because they simply work too hard and rest too little. It's true. We need a stronger sabbath practice amongst my fellow brothers. Even with rest, ministry can be tiring, but when I have a headache, I thank God for asprin, and when I'm tired from work, I thank God for Coffee.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post, Jack. You definitely won't be getting hired as a substitute for the Mormon Church anytime soon. Glad to see a fellow presbyterian take a more reasoned approach to this - and I'm not even a coffee drinker, although I was recently introduced to a few Starbucks mixtures (which I don't even understand).

8:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home