Thursday, October 05, 2006

Out of the Wilderness

That's right folks, it's Sukkot. Where I live, you can't ignore Jewish holidays. We've come past Rosh Hashana and Yom Kippur and are in the midst of the Sukkot month. This is the time of year when Jewish people build tents to remind themselves of the wilderness wondering found in the Old Testament and to look for God's deliverance and covenant with His people. In my neighborhood, you can't walk down the street without seeing these tents in front yards, alley ways and, in some cases, patios.

As Christians, we see God's deliverance in Jesus as our Redeemer and instead of waiting anxiously, we live joyfully as a result. The other noticeable thing, as a guy living in Queens, is that most of the other people are wondering through the wilderness of their lives and have no hope of deliverance outside of Jesus. I know it's difficult to look out my window and imagine that it's a wilderness out there, but that's why we're planting a church here in Central Queens. No more wondering; just the simple hope of the Gospel.

On another note, I'm playing the stage at the Improv tomorrow night. Some of you may recall that I've done a little stand-up recently. With my busy work schedule (full-time job, and church work), my ability to do schtick has been limited and will likely take a hiatus after tomorrow night, but, hey, maybe I'll keep them laughing as they go home tomorrow night. Maybe I'll get my own TV special. Maybe I'll raise enough money to return to ministry full-time. It's good to have ideas anyway.

I'll say no more about this, but this picture should say it all. Can anyone say, "Subway Series?" Hey, it could happen. You just gotta believe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home