Thursday, September 07, 2006

Jack, The Working Stiff

I started my new full-time job this week and let's just say it'll take a little getting used to. If you read this blog regularly, you know that my last year has been full of adventure as Michael and I, with God's direction, somehow managed to get Ascension Presbyterian Church off the ground. My full-time service to the church was facilitated by a combination of generous ministry gifts and a generous stipend from our parent church, Redeemer Presbyterian Church in Manhattan. Now that the stipend is gone and my strange part-time gigs are behind me, I've returned to my former line of work in order to pay the bills.

I now work as a Technical Writer for a consumer electronics company. My job is to write those thrilling user's guides that come with your DVD players, plasma TVs, etc. Yes, I'm sure it'll be as exciting as it sounds... especially since I sit in a room with two other Korean men who say almost nothing all day. The only conversation is a few brief statements in Korean between the two of them. I'm used to general inter-office banter between co-workers, but there's none of that here. Those of you who know me can see the irony of me working at a job in virtual silence for a 40 hour work week. I certainly will be missing the excitement of church planting full time, but hey, the bills won't pay themselves.

All this to say that I have increased incentive to step up my fundraising efforts with an eye to returning to full-time ministry. If any of you know of any churches or individuals I can speak to who might be interested in Gospel ministry in Queens, please point them in my direction. Some of you may already be on board with support, for which I'm humbled and grateful. Perhaps you can prayerfully consider increasing your giving. Others of you may be considering support. If God directs you, now is a great time to get on board. In the meantime, God has provided me with a full-time job and continues to meet my needs.

We have a busy Fall planned at the church, and I'll fill all of you in about what that's shaping up to look like next Thursday right here. Stay tuned.

2 Comments:

Blogger Joshua 6:27 said...

hey man,

the working stiff showed up in an rts "we need your money" letter posing as Paul McCartney.

My senior pastor (also an RTS grad) asked "who's that guy without his shoes on?"

You're famous in many states now my friend.

7:57 PM  
Blogger John said...

Jack,

Praise God that you will have a wonderful opportunity to make connections with some you could never get through a church door. I will pray for you as the Lord brings you to rememberance.

12:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home