Thursday, January 04, 2007

How Quickly we Forget

It doesn't take long once the Holiday season draws to a close to see the ghosts of Christmas past waiting on the street for their final destination... mulch in a city park most likely.

As much as we anticipate certain things, like Christmas, birthdays, graduations, etc. we always need to keep moving forward without too quickly forgetting our past. We had a great Advent season at Ascension Church, but we can't simply rest on the laurels of God's work last month. There's momentum now, and there's much ahead for the new year.

Our youth ministry has seen impressive growth, I am continuing to explore joint activities with other churches, outings, fielf trips and the like, as well as continuing to develop material that will maintain the interest of Junior High kids while giving them a firm grasp of the Gospel. It's actually quite a challenge. I've managed to squeeze in some relationship building with other youth leaders in Queens, and hope to forge a stronger partnership with them in 2007.

Over the next week or so, I will also be meeting with some active minded people to iron out plans and activities for our Young Adults Ministry that will take us through the Spring season. There's been great response to the program so far, and there continues to be a real need for this kind of ministry in Central Queens.

I would also like to bring out some more interest in musical ensembles during our Lord's Day worship services. I've put together two quartets so far, and there seems to be growing interest in having more. I'm not the music director at the church, but I think that a good music program greatly enhances our worship.

Hopefully, this year will usher in further progress with regard to my ecclesiastical position. Between my full-time job, and my work with the church, studying for presbytery licensure will present a formidable challenge. I ask for your prayers.

I must also mention how great it was to visit my sister and brother-in-law in Connecticut for New Year's. My arents were in town for the holidays as well. None of that is really the point. The biggest thing for me is the chance to spend some time with Tyler and Zachary, my nephews. I just don't get to see them as often as I'd like, but hey, it's more frequently than I did when I was in Mississippi.

Lastly, many of you have been anticipating my year-end gift to my supporters. I just picked them up today and will hopefully get all of them in the mail no later than Monday morning. Let's not call them a year-end gift at this point. How does "2007 Kickoff Gift," grab you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home