Thursday, August 10, 2006

Pounding the Pavement

Well, this is my first full week of post-fellows life and I'm pounding the pavement hoping to be able to pay my rent. As I mentioned last week, I'm working as a promoter for the Improv comedy club. Basically this means I'm pitching discount tickets to stand-up comedy shows to tourists in Times Square. It's actually quite fun, but I don't think I'll make enough from my sales volume to bring home a decent dollar figure. I really need to find something more stable. The only person on the street who makes good money is the naked cowboy, a street musician who prances around the city with a guitar, a ten gallon hat at tighty whities and reportedly takes home $1,000 a day from tourists who pose for pictures with him. Given my part time job in pastoral ministry, I'm not about to try this gimick myself. I don't think the presbytery would look well on such self-promotion, so if I have any plans to get ordained, Jack, the Naked Cowboy is out of the question.

Because I'm looking for full-time work and also looking for short-term paying gigs in the meantime, It looks like by the end of this week, I'll be a few hundred dollars short on my rent (probably between $300 and $400). I am speaking at a Korean youth retreat next week, but I'm not likely to know the full amount of pay that will result in until after my rent is due (Aug 15). Money is quite tight, but the adventure is actually quite thrilling. God is certainly teaching me to rely on His providence. He's always provided for me. On that front, I do ask for prayer, both for my financial/employment scenario, and my continued ministry at Ascension Church. I am still attempting to put in 20 hours a week with the church because my financial support makes me a part-time employee. I also need to remind you that the generosity of faithful partners decreases the amount of money I need to make in full-time work each month. Once again, if you are already on board with your support, please prayerfully consider if an increase in giving fits your budget. If you are not currently a financial partner, perhaps God may put it on your heart to begin support. Lastly, if you know anyone who might be interested in bringing God's Kingdom to Queens, please put them in contact with me. Support checks need to be sent to my home address and made out to Ascension Church with my name on the memo line. I'll continue blogging each Thursday and keep you all updated on my job and ministry progress. May God bless you abundantly this week.

1 Comments:

Blogger John said...

Buddy! You need to think outside the box! May being "Jack, the Naked Cowboy" can be your ministry!!!! You could sing hymns (only from the Trinity Hymnal, of course). You could hand out tracts. You could charge people to get their photo with you AND counsel them on tough life issues while getting their picture!

You wouldn't want to were a cowboy hat...maybe...a clerical collar. Yeah! And you want to be modest...sooo...you were box shorts instead of tighty whitey underware! Brilliant!

I want a cut of the profits!

jem

5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home